Monday, June 11, 2007

I hope it's not this bad..............

(This is hilarious - some people were offended!) This is the message from the Pacific Palisades High School (California).
The entire staff voted unanimously to record this message on their school telephone answering machine. This is the actual answering machine message for the school.
This came about because they implemented a policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children's absences and missing homework. The school and teachers are being sued by parents who want their children's failing grades changed to passing grades - even though those children were absent 15-30 times during the semester and did not complete enough schoolwork to pass their classes. The outgoing message:
"Hello! You have reached the automated answering service of
your school. In order to assist you in connecting to the right
staff member, please listen to all the options before making a
selection:

* To lie about why your child is absent - Press 1

* To make excuses for why your child did not do his work - Press
2
* To complain about what we do - Press 3

* To swear at staff members - Press 4

* To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed
in your newsletter and several flyer's mailed to you - Press 5

* If you want us to raise your child - Press 6

* If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone - Press
7

* To request another teacher, for the third time this year - Press 8

* To complain about bus transportation - Press 9

* To complain about school lunches - Press 0

* If you realize this is the real world and your child must be accountable and responsible for his/her own behavior, class work, homework and that it's not the teachers' fault for your child's lack of effort: Hang up and have a nice day!

*If you want this in Spanish, you must be in the wrong country.

********************************************************************

This actually makes me wonder about our educational system. Now I know that I haven't had the wonderful experience of Lilly being in school yet, but it's coming. If this was an actual message that I had heard, especially if I had a serious question about my child, I might be tempted to stomp someone a new one!!! I understand why some schools (well, OK, ALL schools) might feel this way but it's know reason to get rude about it. What I mean is, I understand that it's not the school's job to raise our kids but I think they have a lot to do with it. It's absolutely not their fault for someone being a bad parent and not raising their kids to have what I call "common sense". I do think that it should be the school's responsibility to at least try and do a better job of communicating these problems. You know, try something new maybe!!

All in all, I could go on complaining about this for hours, but I'm not going to. I just want to say that I know that school's do a lot of positive things for kids and teenagers, but doing something like this is JUST the reason why I think it's gotten worse over the years. I want the best for my child and I know most others do as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

That was funny, hoever I would be upset to hear that recording at Amanda's school. :o)

6:44 PM  
Blogger Chris Johnson said...

I also thought it was very funny, but I guess I feel differently than you guys do. Because my thinking is good for them. There are so many dead beat parents out there, who either don't care or clueless parents that think or say "Not my child, he/she wouldn't do that!"

I recently watched a special on Columbine, the parents of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were dead parents!

Ok. I will stop now cause I could write a book! :) Love ya Dougie!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Chris Johnson said...

I meant dead beat parents!! oops!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Doug, I think I'm right there with you. I see both sides, but schools do play a vital role in helping raise our kids.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home